Friday, June 17, 2011

Why Missions?

Tomorrow I'm stepping onto a plane headed for San Salvador with six other people. I've been asked multiple times why I'm going.  I tend to answer the same way each time. 
"We're teaching English to children so that they can get jobs someday."
"We are helping out the workers at Gran Comision Iglesia, who work day in and day out to provide meals for children who would not otherwise eat.  At all."
Last year we helped build a house, and helped hundreds of people see nurses and doctors for the first time in some of their lives.  It all sounds a bit like patting myself on the back.  And its not at all why I'm going.
A few weeks ago I wrote about being an "Always Changing River." And that is part of the reason why I seek to be a short term missionary.
Next week I get to bring books to children.  Stories about Jesus.  The homes we visited last year had no floors, they barely had walls or clothes or beds.  They certainly did not have books.  And as someone who fancies herself a writer and lifelong lover of reading, this breaks my heart.
So tonight with my husband who supports me in all things, and money from my sister, {who incidentally is a Kindergarten teacher with a masters in childrens' literature and uber-passionate about children reading} I went and purchased books! 
I'm traveling to El Salvador with 12 brand new books that are just waiting to be opened and to fulfill their little book purpose in life.  They are just waiting for little hands to lovingly pour over their colorful pages and words!!!! 
I can't wait to take those little bodies into my arms, hold them, and read them stories. 
And why?  Because "God so loved El Salvador, that he gave his one and only Son, so that if the people of El Salvador believe in Him, they will not perish but have everlasting life."  John 3:16

Please follow me as I take my second journey to El Salvador.  The adventure begins tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for safe travels and your amazing journey for God.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete