Saturday, June 4, 2011

Its a Love Story- Anniversary Edition


I thought about continuing on in our story for a while.  But its not necessary.  This week is our 9th Anniversary.  We've been together 11 years now.  That is a long time.  And the truth is, we are every bit as in love as we were 11 years ago.  You don't need to hear about every detail of how I worked my way from being happily in "the friend zone" to falling in love. I can tell you that it had a lot to do with seeing him play classic rock ballads on his guitar in the flickering light of a bonfire.

Alex, he knew from the beginning that we belong together.
It took me a little longer to get there. I was cautious.
I am Alex's first and only love (which I LOVE)
I had experienced heartbreak.
But now I know real love.


For the last 9 years I've been wishing that I had never dated before Alex.  And there is a large part of me that still does.  But would I truly appreciate everything that Alex is, if I hadn't been let down in the past?  I'm sure I would, but maybe I wouldn't fully realize exactly what an amazing man I got. 

So here is what I've come up with on the matter of what to look for in a man:
1. He wants to be around 99% of the time.  He doesn't have to work me into his schedule.
2. I do not have to pursue him.  Because I am too busy being chased.
3. He does not hurt me on purpose. 
4. He does not disrespect me in front of his buddies.
5. There are so many proverbial butterflies when I see him.  Still. Butterflies. I still get goosebumps when our arms or hands accidentally brush by each other. Chemistry.
6. A loving, fun Daddy.
7. He's my very best friend.
8. Seriously a hard worker. He has goals, goes to work, provides for us, doesn't complain.
9. Trust. Trust with not even a smidge of fear.  He is mine, and I am his.  And no one else will ever know the intimacy we share with each other.
10. Most importantly- he loves God. 
11. And a number 11, since we've been together 11 years..... it isn't necessary, but certainly doesn't hurt that he is totally gorgeous!

If you're looking for love, the most important thing to remember is this, don't settle.  There ARE good guys out there. My man proves it every day.  We give our all, to be worthy of each other.

Thank you Alex.  Thank you for pursuing me and not quitting.  You didn't give up on me.  Thank you for wanting me so much that nothing and no one could get in your way {not in a creepy way}.

So while it is true that our love story is one of those really great, sappy stories that you need to read once in a while, its more important to tell about today.  We have had our ups and downs {more up than down}, gut busting laughter, soul crushing heartache, and more joy than some see in a lifetime.  The rest of it I am going to leave in his head and mine.  I'll probably continue to write it out, but for now, I'm going to keep it ours.  I hope you enjoyed your peek into one of the great love stories of all time.

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

No comments:

Post a Comment