Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Its a Love Story- Chapter 4 {His Side, by Him}


As told by Alex:
"So I’ve been asked today to provide a guest blog; the other perspective in the next chapter in the story.  So I’m writing that tonight and I suppose it will maybe hit home the most with the gentlemen readers.  I think there are some, although I don’t know why….I’m pretty sure the last post included a discussion about discussing “boobs”, so I’m thinking the writing doesn’t exactly cater to the male reader.  That’s too much talk; guys tend to get to the point faster……

So up until now, I have not been consulted at all as to the accuracy of the tale.  That being said, it’s been pretty accurate thus far.  I’ve only noticed a small point needing clarified.  Back in Spanish class, you know, before That girl’s tears, “The Boy’s” thoughts can be more clearly stated as: [Click Here].  Now, if you were brave enough to click there, we can move on.

So school ended that year, summer came, and The Boy and That Girl became friends, thanks in large part to AOL Instant Messenger.  And That Girl, well, she was casually dating a guy who was one of The Boy’s friends. That friendship ended later that summer, but that’s beside the point.  Anyhow, he still thought it was crap that they were together.  So what’s a guy to do?  Quietly win her, of course!  Plus it helped that this friend was so inept at dating, that he spent most of the time bringing That Girl over to The Boy’s house!  Ha, playing right into The Boy’s hands.

So, can’t date the girl, got to find some way to spend time with her, without her knowing what kind of time you’re spending.  That’s right, trick her!  Look, I didn’t say it was an honest plan, but it was a good one!  But what says, “hanging out” while still arguably being a date?  Fishing!  Plus, I, I mean, “the boy”, had keys to a gate that led to a private fishing hole!  Perfect,  I called her, she accepted, hook set…..

So, guys, first impressions are big.  Step one, gotta fix up the ride!  It may have been an ’89 Buick Regal, but it was washed, waxed, vacuumed and deodorized inside (it was a high school guy’s ride after all…..).  Step two, you know you’re not the most experienced in the dating field….fine, this is actually the first non-date ;) date you’ve been on.  So you need a way to make up for the potential of having a paralyzing lack of conversation.  Got it!  Music.  Oh, new problem.  Again, high school guy, hundreds of cd’s to choose from….Clapton – not yet.  James Taylor – too mellow.  Journey – too likely to want to belt it out.  Queen – too Queen (yes, I know that is not possible).  Search.  Search.  Eagles Greatest Hits 1. Perfect. Best selling collection of all time for a reason!  Car, music, check.  Clothes?  Ha! Who am I kidding you were in high school then and you still have no sense of style, so you throw something on….

All set.  Pick her up at her house.  Easy and Casual.  Not a  date, so don’t have to bring anything.  Not a date, so just a hi to her folks…”drive safe, be careful, yada yada yada”.  By the way, side note, the trickingThat Girl into dating you means by the time you are actually dating, the parents are so confused as to what is going on, that they miss the transition to actual dating that comes later, and all the “You’re dating my daughter” conversations just kind of get glossed over!  (I want to be clear “Parents”, I was not trying to trick you too, just happened that way and I rolled with it….).

So with such well set plans, “fishing” goes smoothly.  With the exception of you forgot there are no more than 2 fish in this pond, conversation is casual and relaxed.  Fishing gives you lots of excuses though that come in handy.  Have to help her tie the line.  Suggest a better way to cast.  Check her out to make sure her form is correct…..it was all good."

Mari here- I'm pretty sure that although we never caught a single fish, Alex was definitely hooked by the end of this particular outing.  And the beginning of what is still the very best friendship I've ever had began.  That friendship a few months later would become a little something more, and our first date to Six Flags {which, by the way I was also tricked into by some friends} would occur.  But that's a story for another day!

p.s If you want to hear more... follow, subscribe, comment... you know. You can also find me on Twitter: Marijmarks. And if you missed the first 3 chapters they can be found here:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE watching this unfold, and I love even more that you are letting us hear both sides of this love story!!!

    ReplyDelete