Monday, May 7, 2012

Summit VIII- Part 1

The busiest month in the history of my family, included me packing my bags and heading west.  Leaving Alex to deal with the busiest month in history, PLUS 4 kids alone.  {side note: I went to a place where people referred to my 4 children as "only 4!"}

I married a man with looks, brains, braun, and a heart.  Because of all the aforementioned traits, he booked me a trip to attend the Christian Alliance for Orphans, Summit VIII.  I'm in the beginning stages of building an Orphan/Adoption Care ministry at my church and this conference was pretty vital for someone trying to do that.

If you are anything like me, before leaving your family for 4 days, you plan everything out very carefully.  I actually had a list, that included "make a list" on the list. Are you following so far?  Okay, I was planning to leave in the wee hours of the night/morning on Wednesday and would be gone until Saturday evening.  My daughter's birthday party, by neccesity had to be the very next day.... so the week leading up to Summit was a flurry of getting every last detail for her party ready.

Now, I don't know if any of you have ever been apart from your spouse before, but for me, whose husband travels often, I have a routine.  The night before he leaves I lay a massive kiss on the guy.  One he isn't going to forget. Ever. Its like the saying, "live every day to the fullest because it may be your last."  I don't know if that kiss will be the last, so its gotta be world-ending-good.  I don't mean to brag, but I totally nailed the kiss and checked it off my list.  I digress.

So with bag packed, debate about which purse to bring over, and shoes picked out, we wake at 4 a.m. And as I make a last second purse change, this coversation occurs with me and my beloved.  He popped into the bedroom to check on my progress and give me his frequent-traveler-checklist.  But after 10 years of marriage I've learned to read between the lines.  Here's our conversation:

Alex: Do you have your toothbrush?
Meaning: I'm going to miss you bad baby!

Alex: Are all your liquids under 3 oz?
Meaning: Please do not desert me and leave me with 3 daughters and a 3 year old mama's boy to raise all alone.

Alex: Do you want some coffee?
Meaning: Seriously, I'm begging you, do not hit warm, sunny California and never return. I need you, you complete me.

Alex: Are you ready to go?
Meaning: I think you're pretty.

And I did return by golly.  Because any man that will become indignant about a TSA agent giving his wife of 10 years, and five pregnancies, a full body pat-down, deserves to be returned to. It will do it for me every time. {and by full body pat down, I do in fact mean butt, boobs and nether regions}

In case you were hoping for some Orphan Care substance, I apologize. My mind doesn't work that way.  I have to start at the beginning.  A trait that my dear husband does not fully appreciate about me, by the way.  So, for the really good stuff on Summit VIII come back tomorrow.  It will be so worth it.  I promise! Bookmark, Comment, Follow, Subscribe, tie a string on your finger, etch-a-sketch.... do you what you must. But come back tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear about it!!!

    I think we might be long lost sisters.... because I definitely already have lists going for July! And I always have to start my stories at the beginning too. Why don't are hubbys like that?!

    ReplyDelete