Monday, September 20, 2010

Lime Chicken, Homework and Vacation

This weekend I made Fiesta Lime Chicken (inspired from a recipe from http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/. It was fabulous!  See my recipe blog for instructions:  http://realrecipesforrealfamilies.blogspot.com/.  It was so nice to create(ish) something new. 
Its been a good long while since I have allowed myself into the kitchen to just enjoy myself.  Life for me lately has been just like living life on a checklist.  I am so focused on the next 10 steps I need to take that I haven't had the opportunity to stop, take a breath, and enjoy.  But hallelujah I enjoyed my dinner that night!  It felt good to create, to cook, to be still (ish) in my kitchen.  So then making a new recipe led of course to a baking itch and so I mad a few loaves of pumpkin bread. 
I had an epiphany last night at Bible Study.  Our leader, and friend presented a question that made me realize that I am so busy checking things to get done off my list.  I am so busy trying to get through this life on my own power.  I am so busy DOING that when things aren't flowing smoothly or my kids are inexplicably cranky for a week straight I also feel like a huge crank.  And for some reason I just can't figure out why things are going so badly.  Well of course I blamed it on being too busy.  But it turns out that I forgot to do the one, oh so simple thing that could have made it all better.   I completely didn't think to turn to my God.  Which is silly, because He always brings comfort, he always brings peace to my home. Peace to my kids, peace to me, peace to my husband.  So do I still have two weeks of homework to get through in one week so I can enjoy vacation next week? {How goofy is it to get stressed out by a coming vacation?} Yep.  Do I have two exams to study for this week?  Yep.  Do I have four kids and a husband who deserve my utmost? Yep.  But this time I am going to let God lead me and clear my path and my mind.  I'm going to let him breathe new life into my home this week.
Off I go to pray, to snuggle, to study, to play,  to breathe in some divine peace.

Do you ever get so capable at your job that you forget to let God lend you a hand? 

No comments:

Post a Comment