Yesterday, Alex was telling someone the ages of our kids and I about choked on the ginger ale I was sipping. Long flight, new pilot, different story... But it hit me rather suddenly, that I have been a a mom for 12 years. That's a really long time. Wow. And so, it occurred to me that possibly it is my turn to be the mentor, instead of the men-tee.
In one month my children will be 12, 10, 8 and 6. Holy Guacamole! How did I get here already! I have toddlers and preschoolers don't I??? Don't I? Weeeeeellllllll. No. And in an effort to move on, I'm going to embrace my new title of "Seasoned Mom" and hopefully share a few helpful gift buying ideas with you.
So over the next couple of days I'm going to share with you toys and games for different ages. Starting with babies, because they are my fave! And maybe I can save you from the heartbreak and cost of buying a gift that is not touched again after opening it.
I can also save you from yourself.
For example. Turn and walk quickly in the other direction from drums, tambourines and maracas. Just trust me on that one. Walk away. They will forever be known as migraine makers and weapons (if you have a boy). Inevitably they will be pulled out to play with when you are on the phone, when another child is having a nap, or during an important conversation. Let them discover that they want to be in a rock and roll band as teenagers, not toddlers.
So without further ado.... My top, all time favorite baby items. Tested and true.
1. Books! Lots of board books. Read, hold, cuddle and repeat. Even if you don't make it through a whole book without little hands turning the pages or flipping to the end. These are the most precious memories and I can't even begin to share all the scientific data on bonding and brain development. My very favorites are by Sandra Boynton, "The Going to Bed Book" and "Snuggle Puppy." My kids and I also really love the classics like Dr. Seuss and Eric Carle. You cannot go wrong with these books.
Babies have 4 goals in their tiny lives.
2. Sleep (usually when its impossible to put them down to bed)
3.Chew on things. EVERY thing will go in their mouth. And when teething comes along... every thing goes in, and obscene amounts of drool come out.
4. Dump things out.
So with that in mind, and from my years of baby handling, here are my top picks for those 4 very important baby activites.
1. Gerber Puffs. I will regret to the end of my life that I didn't buy stock in Gerber when these things were first released. They saved me from numerous shopping trip, middle of church, meeting, restaurant meltdowns.
2. This blanket. Like a cloud, Has a satiny edge that my babies loved to rub on their adorable little noses as they fell asleep. Donovan is almost 6, and still falls asleep immediately with this blanket. His is navy blue and I'm not going to lie.... If D isn't around and his blanket is.... well I just may have a little nap on the couch with it too.
And for the car seat- I had a little mobile that wound up and played music, but these are super adorable little birds and would probably distract baby into sleep in the same way.
These balls are awesome for little babies. My sister gets one for every baby shower she attends. They are soft, pliable, and the little bitty fingers can really hold on well. Its the super, most adorable thing in the world when a baby has their tiny fingers gripping it, and then they try and chew at the same time and then they get their bitty tongues sticking out too.. oh those baby days.... So cute.
This version is super fun too, the Oball shaker
4. Aside from just letting baby have a go at your pots and pans, or tupperware drawer. This toy was hours of fun for my kids. Cheap, simple, colorful, but very entertaining.
There you have it! These are my absolute favorite baby items. Throw in a pack of the world's best pacifier and you are good to go. If I had been paid on an hourly basis for all the time I spent searching for a pacifier I would be a very wealthy woman. And for my babies, there was no better pacifier than a classic Nuk. And by, "as for my babies" I do also mean, no better pacifier for me.
Happy baby, happy mom.
(I used affiliate links. This is not sponsored. All ideas and opinions are my own. I'm just trying to help you all out! And lets face it, if you like an item, want to buy, and it helps your friendly- international-missionary out at the same time, every one wins.)