Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Today is full of feelings..

I’m feeling a lot of things today.
I just said the words “This is my house.” We had someone over for dinner at “our house.” Then I made the mistake of browsing photos on my phone and saw empty pictures of my Ohio house.
I have a hurting friend back in Ohio, and I normally would rally around her.  And bugs. Yesterday Gomez bravely removed a huge hive of African bees from one of our potted plants…. I watch my kids like a hawk, terrified that the will accidentally drink contaminated water. But who can live in fear? Not me. There is no joy, and no obedience in living in fear.
While I am not missing any of the mounds of snow they are still removing, reality is beginning to set in.
A few weeks ago I was studying in Genesis, about Lot’s wife.  She had ANGELS stand in front of her, tell her to leave her old life, and not look back. Angels. And yet she looked back.  I don’t want to be Lot’s wife.
The first step in looking to the future then, is to be thankful for the now.
(red letter words)

Today I am thankful for a card I opened from one of my closest friends.  She encouraged me, gave me undue and unearned praise, loves me, and now her notes of encouragement are up all around my house. 


I am thankful for my husband who has been doing all the cooking and dishes.
I am thankful for sunshine.
I am thankful for the school books I have to teach my children.
I am thankful that I have another note to open tomorrow, from a different, loved friend.
I am thankful for running water.
I am thankful for air conditioning.
I am so thankful for our friends here in La Libertad. I cannot imagine doing this without knowing people. 

Having people.
And I am thankful for this view out my front door. God’s creation is truly stunning.  It was stunning with the snow, and but now I get this extreme opposite every morning.


I am thankful for a God who is going to use my weakness. For what, I have no idea. But I am thankful to be used.

1 comment: