Monday, July 8, 2013

Compassion at the Alive Festival

I was ecstatic when I got the email about volunteering at a Compassion Int. table.  I was even more excited to find out it was going to be at the Alive festival!! 

Help people sign up to sponsor kids, change their lives and listen to music? Why yes thank you, I'd love to.  Listen to Matthew West for free while I work?  Well, if you insist.

Lets be real for a minute though.  I was also pretty elated about getting a food cart corn dog.  :)

I love Compassion Int.  The ease with which they provide people the opportunity to give life changing food, clothing, medical care and education to children all over the world is awesome.  Not to mention the fact that the child gets all that for only $38/month!!    They come to think of their sponsors as family.  Can you just imagine!  The sweetness of a child far, far away that suddenly has the ability to go to school?  You can do that for them.  Education is not mandated in most countries.  It is for the privileged few who can afford it.  And if you can't, then you are doomed to repeat the cycle of poverty. 

You can be as involved in your sponsored child's life as you want.
Minimum- Automatic withdrawal and we fill out paperwork for you
Medium- Automatic withdrawal, use online templates in your account to write letters and upload pictures. You can send birthday, family and Christmas gifts online
Maximum- Visit your sponsored child!! 

Oh how I wish I can someday take our sponsored son and daughter into my arms.  After I'm done hugging the living daylights out of him and her, I long to then take their mamas into my embrace.  I want to whisper into their ears and hearts and assure them God LOVES them.  He LOVES their children.  Then I would tell them that I think they are magnificent parents.  To not be tempted to think they have failed their children in any way.  Then I would make perfectly clear that we give because Christ so blessed us, to bless others.  Holding those mama's hands I would ask them to tell me about the joy they feel when they look on their children and funny things they do that causes mischief.  Then I will tell them how I love my children so much it hurts sometimes.  And how they make me CRAZY too.  I want them to know that I pray for their children, but that I also pray for them every night.

It is hard, hard to accept gifts that sting our pride.  I would assume that 99.9% of parents long to provide for their children all on their own.  It hurts to watch their children go hungry and know they can do nothing about it. 

Few people I know, want to admit that they need help and then accept help.  I recently was reminded in my own life, that turning away a gift, that someone else felt prompted in their Spirit {by the Spirit} to give, prevents that person from obeying God.   Doesn't that just get ya?!

It was my great privilege to help match people that night with a child desperate for help.  After the 4 day festival, over 300 children had been chosen!!!!  Holla!  300 children whose lives will never be the same.  Whose parents' dreams and prayers for their lovies are coming true.  Thank you Compassion, thank you for letting each and every one us be a part of that.  Thank you for making it possible and oh so easy for us to obey God, and his command to care for our neighbor. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment