Friday, February 3, 2012

I have an idea

I've been in a full on wallow pit for a couple of weeks now.  Tomorrow marks 6 years since we lost our baby.  Actually today and tomorrow.  I walked down the stairs this morning and had a bit of de ja vu.  It doesn't seem possible that it could be six years.  More like 1.

So for the last couple of weeks I've been hugging a little more, rocking a little longer, and not getting out of my pajamas unless it is really neccessary.  Like leaving the house neccessary.

As a flood of all encompassing memories hit me this morning, sights, sounds, people, voices....  I was quickly going to that place deep in my mind that I never want to go to. Longing for thoughts of kindergarten, and Little League and Donovan having a brother....

Graciously, something stopped me.  It occurred to me out of nowhere to stop from freezing where I was, and to do something.  A woman I know {online, but would love to in real life too} named Heather started an amazing project in honor of her son.  The Joyful Life Library.  They put books into Pediatric ICU's for families to have to read during hospital stays.  Amazing idea right?!  Because the last thing you think of as your rush off to the hospital is something to bring to occupy your minds and nerves.  So to have it already there is a true gift.

Here is where you come in!  Lets make some lemonade and buy a book to honor my son, {if you are my family}, or honor someone in your life that you lost.  Maybe you are a mom who lost a child.  Or a dad, aunt, grandparent, cousin or friend.  Lets take our loss, and do something good.

Heather has made it so easy.  On her site, she has a list of hospitals that currently have a Joyful Life Library.  Each hopsital on the list is linked to an Amazon wish list.  So you click on the hospital, it will lead you to Amazon, and you purchase a book(s) on the list and it will be mailed directly to that hospital!  Easy right?  Since my family is in Oregon, maybe they will consider Doernbecher Children's Hospital Joyful Life Library Wish List- Portland, OR
If you buy a book, will you please leave me a comment and let me know so that I can properly thank you?  And don't forget to pass it on.  Buy a book, spread the word, and lets honor life.  No matter how short.  Its does my heart good to know that somewhere, someone will be able to comfort their child with a story because I can't.

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea, and I love your ginormous heart!! I sent a book to Doernbecher <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Mari, this was a hard one to read. I'll take you up on the challenge on payday next week. As an addendum, my group on ravelry does a charity every month hosted by a different member each month. I'm hosting April and I've picked the Dornbecher NICU as my charity. We'll be knitting hats and blankets but I will add this to the list. Thank you for the link. Have a better day. It doesn't get easier. I can't say I know specifically what you're going through because grief is different for each. I understand loss though and how terribly it hurts. I still can't listen to "I can only imagine" and there isn't 5 minutes I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine does this Every Christmas their son was in the NICU over the holiday and they go every year with a HUGE collection of books. You can donate anywhere as long as you set it up and I'm sure they'd be SUPER grateful! They don't have to have that program either.

    ReplyDelete